Monday, November 01, 2004

words

I watched two DVDs a couple of weeks ago.
One was "In the cut" and the other one was "Slam".

"In the cut" was directed by Jane Campion. I like her movies. I remember seeing "An angel at my table" long time ago. Although, I was probably too young to understand everything. I would like to watch it again now.
Anyway, the movie was OK. I liked the camera work and the movie has a sort of suffocating air a whole time which seems like this director's style. In the movie, Meg Ryan played a role as an English teacher. She writes down or memorize the words, sentences that caught her attention. She gets those words from an advertisement in a subway, the words one of her high school students spoken or whatever.
I liked that part. Those scenes kind of showed her character.

The other movie "Slam". I actually watched this a couple of times.
I don't think this is my most favorite movie, but I guess I like Saul Williams and listening to his poetry reading.
In the movie, he writes a word, a sentence in his notebook and create a massive piece of poetry. In his case, not like Meg Ryan's character, he writes his own words. Actually, Saul Williams is a poet as well as an actor, musician in real life.

Anyway, I picked these two movies for watching them in the same night and I thought even though these two movies are nothing really similar in many ways but have one point connected.. which was an appreciation for "words".
I also do appreciate words. I like reading books. I would love to learn more languages. And someday, I would love to be able to write some beautiful poems too ;) .. just being ambitious as usual...

Well, I got one of Saul Williams's books the other day. I listened to his poetry in the movie, but it's so fast that I couldn't understand the whole thing, so I wanted to really understand what he was saying.
And I liked the book. His poetry is strong and beautiful.
Some of his poetry comes from being an African-American in the States, so I guess I probably can't completely share his feelings. But I still like them and reading them gives me a peace of mind. or energy..

I wanted to get a book called "She" by him. But I can't find it. There is a version of the book with a CD and I want that version because I really like how he performs in reading. But they stopped printing and I tried Amazon's used books, but all of them in the list doesn't have a CD.
I actually ordered one but the sender just noticed that her version doesn't have a CD and she even didn't know it had a CD until she looked at the order sheet really closely. Anyway, I hope I'll find it someday and can enjoy it.

3 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

不必有个CD! 我代替那诗人给你朗读他的诗!
到现在,好像你没有写很多的诗...可是,
因为已经有你的 blog 所以不必继续拖延!
读者都在焦急的等待!

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you think a movie that "has a sort of suffocating air the whole time" is OK!? Are you a masochist!? Or you appreciate real life more after comparing it with the suffocating life in the movie? Or... a real "art movie" has to make the viewers suffer to be taken seriously? Ah! There should be a movie about a skinny hip-hop poet in Tokyo who loves to drive about on a cool tangerine colored SR400 with the cool wind and sun in her face! };-D

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger yuki said...

Hey, you didn't know that I'm a masochist + sadist ;-?
等一下, 我馬上開始寫诗。

 

Post a Comment

<< Home