Saturday, October 23, 2004

design

I started reading a marketing book. I'll write about it after I finish reading it, but it basically talks about how you can add extra value to a product or a service so that customers/users will buy your products.
Nothing really new but it's kind of interesting to see how people buy things based on "experience" they get from the products they buy. Of course, the actual quality of the products matters but now a days the technical aspect of the products is pretty much similar so the difference is in somewhere else.

I sometimes think about what to do in the future.
Do I want to keep being a designer? (even though I'm spending more time on management now a days ;) Should I just do something completely different?
The reason that I think about that is because sometimes I feel that design is a bit superficial and doesn't really do anything to a society. It's not a core work. If there were no designers in the world, people still could survive ;) (But then, it probably wouldn't be a nice place to live ;-?)
Anyway, I'm now getting back to a designer mode.
I appreciate design and reading the book like above that I mentioned gives me the idea that design actually can play a big role for providing those "experience" that people want to get (which leads to happiness).
That's kind of an encouraging thought :)
I don't have to wonder around my future for a while ;P

But I guess, another important factor will be I will be able to do the design work for something I like. Something I believe in.
Otherwise, I feel like I'm lying...
Hmmm... I hope I can get to that level soon ;)

I found some nice design work while surfing the web. It's a radiator but it's like a sculpture. Pretty, isn't it?
Designer: Joris Laarman
http://www.reluct.com/featured_designer.html

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger yuki said...

Thanks Yu-Ching!
I'm not sure if it's a pure marketing book, but what I'm reading is "Priceless: Turning Ordinary Products into Extraordinary Experiences" (Japanese title is 「バナナがバナナじゃなくなるとき」). I'm reading this in japanese though ;) I liked the title ...
Another book that I got but hasn't started reading is one of Philip Kotler's book. Is he a marketing god...?? Since I haven't read his books, I don't really know but there were bunch of his books in Marketing section of the bookstore and I just thought I would try...

Well, doing what you want is definately important and finding what you want is another big one. You already found what you want, so you just need to work on it.
ganbare!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home