Thursday, February 17, 2005

Affection

This week has been a hectic week. At work, a couple of people were down because of the flu and haven’t been able to come to work, so I’ve been quite busy taking care of different things. I haven’t been able to start working on the projects I was originally supposed to work on... maybe I can do them tomorrow... (it seems like I keep saying this every day ;-)
There are also lots of things that I need to do + want to do besides work, but I just can’t find time right now.. Well, that’s life :P

So, recently I’ve been eating a quick lunch (obento) in front of the computer, but today I finally got tired of it and went out for lunch outside. Although, it was already close to 14:00, so I couldn’t find a lunch mate. So I just went out by myself. It was actually very nice :) and refreshing. I should do this more often :P

While eating lunch, I was reading a design magazine and encountered the quotes below.
It was one of the “20 life lessons” quotes by different designers.
“You can only work for people that you like. This is a curious rule, and it took me a long time to learn because, in fact, at the beginning of my practice I felt the opposite. Professionalism required that you didn’t particularly like the people that you worked for, or at least maintained and arm’s-length relationship to them, which meant that I never had lunch with clients or saw them socially. Then some years ago, I realized that the opposite was true. I discovered that all the work I had done that was meaningful and significant came out of an affectionate relationship with a client. And I’m not talking about professionalism — I’m talking about affection. I’m talking about a client and you sharing some common ground. That, in fact, your view of life is in some way congruent with the client; otherwise it is a bitter and hopeless struggle. ” -- Milton Glaser

hmm... Did I tell you that I’m looking for a job? ;-P

2 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger yuki said...

no comment... Kidding :-P

I like people that I work with (especially the people in my team).
If I think about whether I’m working FOR people that I like (whether I like my clients), hmm... there are some questions.
Maybe I’ve been idealistic, but I would like to be able to work for people, products, services or whatever that I love and believe in and feel close to.
If I love a product, I feel good about creating something helpful for that product to be better or more popular, etc. But if I don’t love it, I feel like lying to people and myself.
People are important too. If a client is very passionate about his/her product, it makes me feel more passionate about helping him/her. I’m not saying these things don’t happen in the current job though.. :-P The worst case is the product is not good and the people are not enthusiastic about it (they just work because they were asked by their bosses, etc.) ...and you know what the end result would be ... ;P

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

你现在享受你自由懒惰地吃午饭时间..因为
等一下你就用工不懈地有个充满中文
练习午饭! 哈哈!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home