Saturday, November 20, 2004

Grumpy, bitchy, but finally happy :) my first ride

I got my SR on Thursday evening and today I took the first ride. My friend was teaching me how to ride and explaining all the little things about a SR. (He used to ride a couple of SRs.)

Starting the engine.... Hmmm... This kick start thing that I wrote about before is.... difficult! But actually, it wasn't as difficult as I thought. It took me a while to start up, but I thought after I understand a little trick, I would be able to start it up a bit more smoothly.
Anyway, my first half part of the day was just starting up the bike many many times.
When I finally successfully started up and start the bike, the engine stalled. And I had to start up again. Well, this was because I'm not used to using a clutch and either I let it go too fast or there wasn't enough gas to keep it going. Well, I guess I just have to learn it. Each bike is little bit different and after the engine stalls for another 100 times, I will be an expert ;P

After doing my kick start practice (well by that time, I was already becoming quite grumpy... I get grumpy when I can't do things. .. And the worse thing is I get bitchy when I'm grumpy. Sorry my kind teacher ;D), I drove near my house for a while. And after I got little bit used to driving, we took off a little drive to Ueno. From Meguro, we passed YGP (my office ;) and got to Roppongi dori and circled around the imperial palace where my friend took some pictures of me and got to Ueno. I bought a couple of things for my bike and we drove back.
On that drive, hmm... not sure how many times the engine stalled.. :P probably about 5 times. Driving is easy but when I have to drive slowly and stop and start, it gets more difficult. The engine stalled a couple of times at the places I really hoped it wouldn't stall ;P like when I was about to take a right turn! And at that time I was quite tired, grumpy and bitchy! (you all should stay away from me :P)

After the hard right turn, we dropped by a key store as it seemed like my bike key wasn't perfect. I have to jiggle the key little bit to lock/unlock the handle bar. The owner of the shop came out and checked my key and bike and told us that it's not the key which is a problem but the cylinder side has a little problem. But it's not a big problem and with pushing the key little further makes it work and it won't hurt the bike even if I use the key that way. He said it is a little character of the bike. He used to have a SR and he liked it because it has some character -- like a human. And he was telling me about how he liked the vibration the SR's engine makes. I've read about people talking about similar things and I think the people who ride SRs are a bit similar to Mac users. If you see somebody using a Mac, you feel like that person is a part of your group. (obviously, I'm a Mac user ;) And I felt a similar feeling from the shop owner being very friendly and telling me about how great SRs are.

Anyway, overall, it was a happy drive :D
Well, when I first drove my Cub, it was similar. I thought I never ever be able to drive. Now I can drive my Cub with high heels on no problem. Maybe after a while, I will be able to drive my SR with pin heels on :-? (which I probably never wear anyway .. ;P)


I haven't come up with the name for my bike. Right now, he is called "Urushi" temporarily.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Blogger yuki said...

Yu-Ching, 今日はダンスに来なかったね。寂しかったワ:(
"Urushi"は単に新しくした黒いタンクがとっても黒光りしていて漆っぽいから、っていうとっても単純なnamingなのです。後はこの子(SR)が男なのか女なのかまだわからなくて(私は何となく男の子だと思っているのだけど)、Unisexな名前にしとこうかな、、という変な理由。
yeah, I will be super careful. Thank you. I'm actually a very careful driver though (you may not believe me ;P). And after driving for a year without any accidents, I'll give you a ride. (there is a law that you can't have a passenger if you are driving less than a year.)
Well, of course, I'll practice 二人乗り with some guy friends and make sure you will be safe :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home